http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html

21 September 2007

The Odd Number Kids VS the Even Number Kids

There's some magic related to the Tse Numbering System.

Somehow, for some unknown reason, the "odd number" uncles/aunts look like Grandpa, while the "even number" uncles/aunts look like Grandma. It won't work if you try to number the siblings by the conventional numbering system, and you have to see "zero" (Goo Ma) in the Tse System as "even" number and "da" (my dad) as "odd" number. (Hey, another difference between the two numbering systems!)

Even when I was a kid, I noticed that Aunts 7 and 9 looked more or less the same, while Aunt 8 looked completely different from the two sisters. Uncles 4 and 10 also looked like twins, especially with their relatively "big" sizes comparing to the other brothers.

The magic passes to our generation as well (except those who look like their mom or dad originally not in the family). I (belong to the odd number group) looks like Aunt 7. Grandma and Mom even say we share the same personality. The younger twin of Uncle 5 looks like Aunt 9. She looks like Aunt 9 even more than the twin sisters look like each other, or Aunt 9's daughter to Aunt 9! I remember when I last saw the twins (when they were 4!), the younger twin was as quiet as Aunt 9 while the older twin was a super talkative baby :)

The magic doesn't just stop there. Daughter of Aunt 7 looked very like me when she was a toddler. Our "degree of resemblance" was to the level that I was so shocked when I first saw her picture. Mom would keep saying that she looked EXACTLY like me when I was a baby if Mom saw her. Even cousins who have only seen Baby Ida in pictures would say, "Wa! Aunt 7's daughter looks the same as Da Kar Jie."

When my sis saw Goo Ma's wedding picture, she commented that Aunt 7 looked the same as we did when we were around the same age. I answered, "Of course. We are all Odd Numbers Kids!"

So this is the magic of the Tse Family.

Quiz 5
The picture this time was taken at around my parents' wedding (1971). Every one should be easily identified by then. Can you figure out who're the Odd Number Kids and who're the Even Number onces?

2 comments:

diana said...

i never knew that about the resemblance differences! that's crazy. in that picture, aunt 7 looks so much like you ida! is that polly and arthur? where do you find all these pictures! they are family heirlooms, we need to keep them all!

i think me and rose look like our mom and ed looks like dad.

Ida's Studio said...

I should have asked you to find me in the picture instead. I've shown this picture to my friends. All but one thought Aunt 7 was me (even myself would think so!). The one didn't think so was not because we didn't look alike, but she's just clever enough to figure out that the picture was too old and I should not be old enough to be in the picture :) But members of the Lam Family nowadays look identical to each other :P

Yes, the two kids were Polly and Arthur. Polly looked like Goo Ma a lot too. I have never realized Aunt 8 looked so much like your dad.

Let me properly scan the pictures and email to you all. For the last two, I used my mobile to take pictures of the pictures :)