http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html

10 October 2007

Iron Ring

Everyone who received engineering education in Canada wears an iron ring on the little finger of his/her working hand (the one who hold the pen or pencil). It reminds us our obligation and responsibility to the society being an engineer. We have to attend an Iron Rings Ceremony during graduation year to receive the Ring, and we are not supposed to share the details to whom who had not attended the Ceremony :)

Although I have not been in the field for a long long time, the Iron Ring still gives me courage and strength at times of difficulties.

3 comments:

Matt Lam said...

Iron ring whoo! 6 more months or so until I've my own :P Do you still wear yours all the time?

Anonymous said...

I lost mine early this year after keeping it for more than 10 years!!!!!

Can I have yours? please? (Just kidding.)

Ida's Studio said...

I still wear mine except going on a trip or going to some unusal or new places just in case I would lost it some where as it's kind of loose.

When I tried on the Ring, I was much fatter than now :) and found the Ring quite tight. I asked for a bigger one but the councillor insisted that the size was just right cause when we got on site, our hands would shrink more than the Ring and hence it would drop on the ground easily.

It turned out that he's quite right. When I was still in Edmonton, winter time was the "peak" season to lost the Ring.

P.S. I think if you lost it, you can write to your related Chapter to ask for a new one, but you have to be still in the field. For those not practising, we are not supposed to wear it :P