http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html

02 October 2007

How do you eat your oranges?

I eat oranges only by peeling off the skin. That is, not by cutting them into pieces with skin, but by peeling off the skin only.

Yes, I only eat oranges this way. (Well, except drinking fresh orange juice, I guess.)

I don't know how the younger ones in the Tse Family eat oranges nowadays. But for most of the older ones, peeling off the skin is the only way we eat oranges :)

When Uncle and Aunt 10 were just married (or before they were married), Aunt 10 saw me peeling orange skin and said "all those in the Tse Family eat oranges by peeling off the skin." I said "it's because when I was little, Grandma and Aunt 7 peeled the orange for me so now I peel it myself and for the younger ones too." I remember when Ed was a small kid, he would put an orange and a knife on the dining table after a meal without saying anything. Then, I would peel one for him, may be one for Di and one for myself. It usually took quite a while.

I suddently remember that when Aunt 7 was still in HK, after dinner, she would peel oranges for herself too. Not only she would peel off the skin, but she would also separate each orange into 10 pieces, and line them up on the dinning table one by one before she ate it. (Count it! There're 10 pieces in each orange.) But with five older brothers and one younger one and also Baby Ida, you could easily imagine that she could hardly eat any of them every night :P

There's also one time when my sis was still a baby (really a baby, those that don't know how to speak yet), Aunt 7 gave her oranges. She had one piece of orange per hand, one in her mouth and eyed on the fourth. This was how my sis ate 20+ years ago.

And this is also stories of the Tse Family about oranges.

P.S. I remember this when I saw "thick skin" oranges in grocery store tonight. Why "thick skin"? It's because unless you are very "skillful", your orange will become orange juice if you choose a thin skin one. So, I only eat "thick skin" oranges :>

9 comments:

Rosanna =) said...

Well, I eat oranges however they are prepared for me...but I Do prefer peeled. I don't buy oranges because I'm too lazy to peel them and I don't like to just cut them either!!
Now that you mention it, I remember Ed would do that after dinner but i forgot that it was you who peeled it!!
Now I want you to peel me an orange too!! =P
Oh!! And when I peel the orange, I have to pick off alll the white stringy parts cuz I don't like eating those.

Ida's Studio said...

I also pick off those white stringy things too. They are quite...don't know how to describe but absolutely not something to put in your mouth.

But somehow when Matt L. was small, he had an idea that those stringy parts on a mandarin oranges were something good for your health. He urged me one time with a very serious and concerned look that I should eat them all :P

Subtropicalboy said...

Very interesting series!

Ida's Studio said...

Thank goodness! You are the third reader of the "Facts and the Myths of The Tse Family" who's outside the family!

Unknown said...

one more thing mom always says about me eating and aunt 7: aunt 7 once fed baby Sara congee (or sth else) but I just kept crying. Aunt 7 was scared and frustrated as she didn't know what went wrong. My mom gave her a bigger spoon to feed me and I stopped crying and was very happy. haha =P

I also don't eat the white thing but I agree with the academic Matt L as I also heard that it's good for health

Matt Lam said...

I still eat the stringy stuff. But not for my health; I am just too lazy to remove it :P

Ida's Studio said...

It's good that you mentioned that classic moment yourself, Sara. You were eating baby food that time. I think Aunt 7 was not frustrated. It's not easy to make her frustrated, I suppose. But she's really scared though as she had never seen babies eating that way!

Rosanna =) said...

I too heard that that white stuff in the orange is good for you...something about the fibre??? Or it's just an urban myth that moms would tell their kids JUST so they would eat it and save them from removing every last piece of it!! hahahaha

Wow....Sara sounds like a scary eater! Bigger spoon?? hahahaha

Ida's Studio said...

Yes, from a tea spoon to a table spoon (or a Chinese soup spoon) :P