http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html

12 August 2008

In search for a notebook, from a gender perspective

Incident (1)

Because of a sudden impulse, I am thinking to get a new notebook, and have been looking around for several weeks.

Today, I set my eyes on a new pink Sony Vaio (VGN-SR15G/P). It’s thin, it’s light, and it’s around my budget (although to the high side). Most importantly, of course, it’s in PINK. It’s the nicest pink notebook I can find.

Unfortunately, this pink Sony Vaio has only 1G RAM. There’s a faster variation of the same line with more RAM and bigger harddisk. However, IT’S ONLY IN BLACK!!!!!

Incident (2)

I was watching the seven-episode LG promotional five-minuters on their new notebooks over the weekend. It’s sort of like a series of music videos – beautiful people, beautiful sceneries, nice music, etc. all under soft lens :) The series is about two men chasing the same woman.

My question is – is it targeting to men or women users? Isn’t IT commercial usually targeting to men? If that’s so, should it be two women chasing a man? If that’s the other way around, does it mean that women become a big market for IT products?

Incident (3)

I was at the Wanchai Computer Centre one day hoping to get a portable harddisk. I have to say it isn’t a very women-friendly place to start with. All the sales and customers are men, and they simply don’t want to talk to women, especially those don't look like knowing anything about computers. (I believe young beautiful girl is an exception.) Suddenly, I heard a female voice talking to me.

I was relieved.

I think there's really a big service gap for women IT sales.

2 comments:

Rosanna =) said...

1) How sexist that the PINK one has less RAM than the black one!! They sure don't know how to make money because I bet that if the pink one had more RAM, girls/women would buy it even if it was more expensive based on the colour!

2) Perhaps since they feel that men are their main targets, they're trying to entice the women consumers to give it another look with those fancy commercials.

3) Those guy sales are pretty dumb by ignoring women customers. Don't they know we are the biggest group of consumers...for everything!!! A little attention and service goes a long way....

I hope you find a new one soon!! =)

Ida's Studio said...

I figure that if I add more RAM, the total price will be the same (or even more) as the black one, but with a smaller harddisk. It's nut.